Why is zinc important for the prevention of prostate cancer?

In addition to helping out with immunity, growth, and development, zinc is a great mineral for men because it appears to play an important role in maintaining prostate health. Prostate cancer is one of the leading causes of cancer deaths in American men, and most elderly men have some abnormal prostate cells, so researchers are increasingly interested in ways to protect the prostate. Although the exact function of zinc in the prostate is unknown, what we do know about zinc is that:
  • The human prostate accumulates the highest level of zinc of any soft tissue in the body (although researchers aren't sure why).
  • Cancerous prostates seem to have less zinc than normal prostates.
  • Some studies show that increased dietary zinc is associated with a decrease in the incidence of prostate cancer.
  • Severe zinc deficiency can affect testosterone and could lead to impotence.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer Prevention

When should a man have a prostate exam?
After lung cancer, prostate cancer is the deadliest cancer in men. The American Cancer Society recom...
Do selenium and vitamin E help prevent prostate cancer?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Selenium and Vitamin E do not help prevent prostate cancer and could actually increase the risk in s...
Men: You Still Need a PSA Test for Prostate Cancer
Should I Get a Prostate Cancer Screening If I Have No Family History of It?