When should a man have a prostate exam?

There is no standard time when a man should have a prostate exam. It is usually only done when infection or cancer of the prostate are suspected. The decision as to when to begin screening for prostate cancer (with a blood test and/or prostate exam) is one that each man should make with his doctor. Usually, men have this discussion with their doctor at age 50. For those at increased risk for prostate cancer (African American men or those men with a diagnosis of prostate cancer in a family member before age 65), this discussion may take place as early as age 40.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

After lung cancer, prostate cancer is the deadliest cancer in men. The American Cancer Society recommends that men begin screening at age 50 and have a prostate exam each year, but you should start as young as age 40 if you have an immediate family history. Screening may be done every year or two years depending on the results of the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer Prevention

Do selenium and vitamin E help prevent prostate cancer?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Selenium and Vitamin E do not help prevent prostate cancer and could actually increase the risk in s...
How do finasteride and dutasteride affect my risk of prostate cancer?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
Belonging to a class of drugs called 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors, finasteride and dutasteride are a...
How Can I Reduce My Risk of Developing Aggressive Prostate Cancer?
5 Fruits and Veggies a Day Keep Cancer Away