How can prostate cancer be prevented?

Christopher S. Saigal, MD
Urology
In general, you cannot prevent prostate cancer. Most of the risk factors for prostate cancer aren't modifiable: race, age, family history. But exercise and a heart-healthy, low-fat diet with lots of fruits and vegetables may help some.

Risk of prostate cancer can be reduced by eating a healthy diet, exercising, and regular doctor visits. There is no proven method to completely eliminate the risk of developing any stage of prostate cancer, but studies have linked certain nutrients in fruits and vegetables, such as lycopene-found in tomatoes-with prevention of the disease. Being aware of your risk factors can also help in prevention of the disease. If you have a family history of prostate cancer, for example, you should start screening for the disease at an earlier age.

Research suggests that lycopene found in tomatoes and tomato products may help prevent prostate cancer. Cooking the tomatoes as well as serving them with a tad of oil has also shown to enhance the body’s absorption of this photochemical. Watermelon, pink grapefruit, and guava are other delicious food sources of lycopene

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer Prevention

How can I lower my risk of prostate cancer?
St. Petersburg General HospitalSt. Petersburg General Hospital
A heart-healthy diet may help lower your risk of prostate cancer.
What lifestyle changes can reduce my risk of getting prostate cancer?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
We have evidence that a short list of lifestyle factors can help prevent prostate cancer, and preven...
Should I Get a Prostate Cancer Screening If I Have No Family History of It?
Do Selenium and Vitamin E Help Prevent Prostate Cancer?