Can a progesterone cream help me manage perimenopausal rage?

Progesterone is one of the hormones that affects the brain chemistry and it is also one that changes in the perimenopause years. In my practice, I've seen remarkable results in many women using this easy approach of low-dose natural progesterone cream. It is not a one-size-fits-all sort of option, but it is one easy thing to try, and it works for many women.

You can get the low-dose, over-the-counter formulas at most health food stores, or from many holistic practitioners' offices. It's important to look for "United States Pharmacopeia (USP) progesterone" on the ingredient list; that's the active ingredient you want. Progesterone creams are also made to order at compounding pharmacies by prescription, which might be ideal (if this option is available to you) to ensure potency and quality.

For many women using progesterone cream, within days, it can feel like they're taking in a breath of fresh air. If it is a good fit for you, you usually know right away. For others, it may take longer, or they might need something stronger or a different formula. I usually suggest giving it two cycles to see what it can offer you, along with nutritional support and dietary mindfulness.

I've seen very few side effects or serious concerns with natural progesterone, especially when taken in these low doses. Most of the risks in hormone use are linked to oral estrogens. If you have concerns about risks, you should certainly talk about them with your health-care provider, or choose another path altogether.

Continue Learning about Progesterone

What is progesterone?
Progesterone is a hormone; it is produced, along with estrogen, by the ovaries.   Watch the animatio...
Where does progesterone come from?
Elena H. Yanushpolsky, MDElena H. Yanushpolsky, MD
Progesterone is a hormone that is secreted by the ovary after ovulation. During the first two weeks ...
Is progesterone cream better than pills for improving health?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
For many women, hormone replacement therapy is not an ideal way to deal with the natural depletion o...
What are the side effects of progesterone injections?
Using progesterone injections may cause a variety of side effects, ranging from mild to serious....