What treatments are used to remove brown marks on the face?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
I prefer to remove brown marks on the face, arms, or hands with trichloroacetic acid (TCA) peel. If that is unsuccessful, I use the laser. The laser heats up the brown pigment and fries the cells that make the pigment, leaving a blister. After healing, there is a light red spot that gradually fades. In the end, the brown mark is gone.

While the laser can remove brown marks, I believe it is overkill. I reserve its use for very difficult brown spots. The most popular lasers used to treat brown pigment have names like ruby, alexandrite, neodymium:yttrium aluminum garnet (Nd:YAG), and pigmented lesion dye laser (PLDL). Again, these different lasers use different types of light to destroy the brown pigment.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

What is desquamation?
Desquamation is the skin's natural exfoliation process. When skin is healthy and hydrated, cells are...
How can injectable compounds make my face look younger?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved several injectable compounds designed t...
What Are the Advantages of Botox Treatment Over Facial Plastic Surgery?
Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?