What are the risks of silicone injections?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Silicone was used extensively in the 1970s. I remember Don Imus stating that the greatest achievement of a Playboy model was enduring the pain of silicone injections into her breasts. In fact, silicone liquid has been injected into breasts and faces for more than thirty years. It sounds like a good idea, in that it does not break down over time. However, most authentic plastic surgeons have seen disasters from these injections. The Food and Drug Administriation (FDA) says silicone can cause swelling, reddening of the skin, lumpiness, and soft-tissue tumors. The scar around the silicone can be very thick, creating nodules, or it can be thin, allowing the material to drift through the tissues, ending up via gravity in the most southern location.

Once injected, the game is over. If the area becomes infected, the infected tissue needs to be cut out. Countless women have undergone mastectomies or removal of whole sections of the face because of infected silicone. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons says injectable silicone can harden, migrate, cause inflammation, and kill skin.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

What is laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal is a noninvasive technique that uses a low-energy laser beam to disrupt the growi...
What can make my eyelashes grow longer, besides medication?
Dr. Tamara FountainDr. Tamara Fountain
  There are many causes of eyelash loss including infection, autoimmune disorders, thyroid trouble,...
How Can I Look Younger Without a Facelift?
Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?