What can make my eyelashes grow longer, besides medication?

Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgeon

Latisse is a prescription drug for growing eyelashes, it is expensive and requires a visit to your doctor. That has prompted a bunch of cosmetics companies to make competing products that also claim to grow eyelashes. These different cosmetics contain chemicals like prostaglandins, vitamins, and other things that claim to make your eyelashes grow. I'm not sure if these products really work, because as cosmetics, their manufacturers don't have to prove they work or submit any data to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Dr. Tamara Fountain
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

There are many causes of eyelash loss including infection, autoimmune disorders, thyroid trouble, trauma, and even cancer. Thinning of lashes can also happen with age. I would suggest you see your ophthalmologist or eye doctor. This person could ask you some questions and examine you thoroughly to understand the reason for your eyelash problem. Once your doctor knows the problem, you can begin treatment accordingly. Latisse is the only FDA-approved treatment proven to grow longer, darker, and thicker lashes. It takes two to four months to see any effects, and side effects can include darkening of surrounding skin and even the iris or colored part of your eye. You can talk more with your eye doctor whether this treatment is right for you.

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

How long do the benefits of skin resurfacing last?
Skin resurfacing can produce a more youthful appearance that lasts from months to years.  Watch the ...
What does the Fractora Firm device do?
Anthony S. Youn, MDAnthony S. Youn, MD
Plenty of people wish they could get the benefits of a facelift without the surgery. In this vid...
Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?
How Can I Look Younger Without a Facelift?