What is LED therapy?

In light-emitting diode (LED) therapy, visible light in different color wavelengths are directed at skin surface.

What it's best for: Depending on light (red, blue, yellow, or a combination), it's said to improve acne, lines, and wrinkles; speed healing; stimulate new collagen; improve pigmentation and texture.

Average cost: $100 per treatment.

Number of treatments: Eight to 10 (one to two treatments per week).

Risks and recovery time: None.

Inside scoop: Painless, but results are negligible and clinical evidence is weak.

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

What is desquamation?
Desquamation is the skin's natural exfoliation process. When skin is healthy and hydrated, cells are...
How can I make my eyelashes look thicker without a lot of mascara?
Dr. Gary S. Hirshfield, MDDr. Gary S. Hirshfield, MD
There are always cosmetics and false eyelashes. However there is one prescription medication that is...
What Are the Advantages of Botox Treatment Over Facial Plastic Surgery?
Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?