Is skin resurfacing the same as microdermabrasion?

Microdermabrasion is a type of skin resurfacing in which tiny crystals polish off the top layer of skin.  Watch the animation to learn more about microdermabrasion.

Microdermabrasion is one form of skin resurfacing. All types of resurfacing remove the outer surface of your skin -- including shallow scars, wrinkles, and age spots -- and expose fresher layers underneath. In microdermabrasion, the practitioner uses a handheld device to spray fine particles onto your face and vacuum them away. Other types of resurfacing include dermabrasion, laser resurfacing, and chemical peeling.

In dermabrasion, the practitioner scrapes the skin using a device with a rough rotating wheel or brush. In laser resurfacing, the practitioner uses light energy to destroy the outer layer of skin. In chemical peeling, the practitioner uses harsh chemicals to remove the outer layers of skin. If you are considering a cosmetic procedure or treatment, you should consult a dermatologist about which one is right for you.

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

When choosing a spa, what should I ask to determine its cleanliness?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
To find out if the spa is hygienic, go straight to the spa management and ask the following: 1...
Should I believe what I see on TV about plastic surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Every day television programs air on local television channels as well as on cable stations deta...
Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?
What Are the Advantages of Botox Treatment Over Facial Plastic Surgery?