Should I worry that other people will notice I've had work done?

What’s the worst thing that can happen? You’re sniped at for being superficial because you Botoxed your brows? You feel guilty because a close friend who wants the same thing can’t swing it financially? You get compliments and that makes you embarrassed?
  • First, it will all be forgotten in few hours, as people focus on other things.
  • Second, you’re simply taking care of your looks, and that’s a positive, life-enhancing move. Besides, if you’re forty-five but a childhood of oblivious tanning (who knew?) has made your skin look fifty, what’s wrong with looking your age?
  • Third, you’ll be surprised by how many people don’t notice. The effect of a little Botox here and some crease filler there may seem powerful to you (good) but the general improvement is hard to pinpoint (also good).

People will just sense that you look better and assume you’ve been on vacation or tamed your high-stress job or lost a little weight or gotten a better haircut. In fact, I’ve heard that some plastic surgeons tell self-conscious patients to change their haircut and color because people automatically attribute the improvement to that.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

How can injectable compounds make my face look younger?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved several injectable compounds designed t...
What should I do if I get a cold sore before a cosmetic treatment?
If you carry the herpes virus and experience cold sores on occasion, alert your dermatologist to thi...
Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?
How Can I Look Younger Without a Facelift?