How can I treat thinning lips?

Treat thinning lips with a simple solution: lip fillers!

Luckily, there’s no shortage of volumizers that can be injected into lips. But that’s only half the challenge.

Understanding the way the face ages is one of the key factors in successfully rejuvenating the perioral area, says Gregory Goodman, M.D., an associate professor at the Dermatology Institute of Victoria in Victoria, Australia. The aging of the lower face can be influenced by genetics and racial characteristics, and usually begins with the nose dropping back into the face and downward. As if that wasn’t enough, a change in the upper and lower jawbones causes the chin to tilt up. “These combined changes can lead to the well-known caricature of the chin meeting the nose in old age,” he told us.

So why should the chin and nose have any impact on your lips? One word: symmetry.

“Beautiful lips are certainly the ideal…but it must be kept within proportion to the rest of the face,” wrote Goodman in Cosmetic Dermatology. Age is also an important factor. “We are not trying to create a 25-year-old lip on a 55-year-old,” he says. “It would look inappropriate, no matter how well it’s achieved, since it would be out of synch with the rest of the face.”

We’ve all seen women with the accursed trout pout. This is what happens when practitioners inject too much product into the wrong parts of the lip. There’s an artistry involved in injections—the vermillion border around the lips and the cupid’s bow, the ratio of the top to bottom lip all must be preserved.

To bring the lips back into proper and natural-looking alignment, Goodman recommends using a neurotoxin (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin) around the mouth to focus it “back into a neutral relaxed position.” That, in combination with a filler to restore volume -- as well as consideration to the face’s overall symmetry—will lead to optimum results.

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

How can I get the best result from a cosmetic treatment?
No one wants duck lips (too much plumper) or a frozen, expressionless face (too much Botox). Sure, t...
How do saunas help remove toxins from the body?
Saunas do more than just help you relax; they help clear toxins from your body. It's done not only t...
How Can I Look Younger Without a Facelift?
Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?