Does the U.S. Food and Drug Administration test cosmetics?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not monitor or test cosmetics before they are sold to consumers. However, according to the U.S. Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act, certain measures are taken to protect cosmetics users, including a requirement that all ingredients be safe and effective (or labeled such that safety is unknown). For example, it does require that the information found on labels must be accurate and truthful, including what the product is, the ingredients, directions for use and the name of the manufacturer. Also, cosmetics manufacturers are only allowed to use color additives that are FDA-approved.

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

What treatments are available to get rid of my lip lines?
Skin fillers are one common treatment that can help by making lips fuller. Collagen or hyaluronic ac...
How can I get the best result from a cosmetic treatment?
No one wants duck lips (too much plumper) or a frozen, expressionless face (too much Botox). Sure, t...
Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?
What Are the Advantages of Botox Treatment Over Facial Plastic Surgery?