Are silicone injections safe?

Hyaluronic acid implants are much safer than silicone implants. Learn more about this topic with Dr. Oz and Dr. Arthur Perry.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

In general silicone injections were more popular in the 1970s. They are rarely performed today into the face or the breasts. Silicone injections into the breast often lead to severe mastitis and calcifications that can be impossible to remove. The gel will bleed throughout the tissue and harden throughout the entire breast. Silicone should Never be injected into any part of the breast at any time. Some facial surgeons are still using silicone injections in the face and nasal areas. This is controversial, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and consider hyaluronic acids instead (Juvaderm, Radiesse, etc.)

Continue Learning about Professional Beauty Treatments

What evolutionary purpose does beauty serve?
Way back when—before we could decode your genome, use fertility tests to determine when you're ovula...
How does my age help determine which cosmetic procedures are right for me?
Robert T. Grant, MDRobert T. Grant, MD
Age -- and aging -- are certainly factors when it comes to the cosmetic procedures women choose. In ...
What Are the Advantages of Botox Treatment Over Facial Plastic Surgery?
Are There Risks In Injections to Remove Dark Eye Circles?