What vaccinations should I have if I plan to get pregnant?

As you consider expanding your family, you should ensure that you are current on all routine vaccines as indicated by age and individual health factors.

The vaccine statuses of which you should be aware are: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, humanpapilloma virus (HPV) if you are age 26 or younger, influenza (flu shot), measles, mumps and rubella—MMR (live), Tdap (tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis) and varicella—chicken pox (live). If you receive a live vaccine, you should refrain from conception for at least four weeks while establishing immunity.

Before you get pregnant, you should be immunized for varicella, rubella and hepatitis B. During your pregnancy, you’ll want to be immunized for whooping cough during the third trimester, and the flu during flu season.

Continue Learning about Prior To Conception

Should I do anything special to get pregnant, if I am in my late 30s?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
As you age, you have an increasing chance of having a baby born with a birth defect. Yet most women ...
If I'm Rh negative,should I have a RhoGAM shot before I get pregnant?
Margaret L. McKenzie, MDMargaret L. McKenzie, MD
You may need to have a RhoGam shot if you are Rh negative. Watch this video to learn why you may...
4 Natural Fertility Boosters to Help You Get Pregnant
How Soon After Having My Lap Band Removed Can I Try to Get Pregnant?