What vaccinations should I have if I plan to get pregnant?

As you consider expanding your family, you should ensure that you are current on all routine vaccines as indicated by age and individual health factors.

The vaccine statuses of which you should be aware are: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, humanpapilloma virus (HPV) if you are age 26 or younger, influenza (flu shot), measles, mumps and rubella—MMR (live), Tdap (tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis) and varicella—chicken pox (live). If you receive a live vaccine, you should refrain from conception for at least four weeks while establishing immunity.

Before you get pregnant, you should be immunized for varicella, rubella and hepatitis B. During your pregnancy, you’ll want to be immunized for whooping cough during the third trimester, and the flu during flu season.

Continue Learning about Prior To Conception

Do I need to change my migraine medicine if I want to have a baby?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
The most common class of migraine medications, triptans, have not been shown to cause birth defects....
What will my doctor check during a pre-pregnancy exam if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Because you have diabetes, you need special care and advice from your diabetes doctor, nurse and hea...
How Soon After Having My Lap Band Removed Can I Try to Get Pregnant?
4 Natural Fertility Boosters to Help You Get Pregnant