What can I do before I am pregnant to have a healthy pregnancy?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

I believe that all women who are considering pregnancy should have pre conception counseling with an OB/GYN doctor.  At this appointment you will have a well-woman exam and your doctor will obtain a history from you.  You will be started on prenatal vitamins and will be given relevant expectations on when you can expect to become pregnant as well as expectations of fertility rates.

Remember that 50 percent of pregnancies are not planned, so it is important to take a healthy approach to pre-pregnancy planning. So if you're a woman of childbearing age and not using birth control, you should follow these steps to better your chances of a healthy pregnancy.
  1. Stop smoking
  2. Stop drinking alcohol
  3. Stop using recreational drugs
  4. Avoid second-hand smoke
  5. Begin to floss every day if you do not already
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Few life experiences feature the extreme emotional swings as pregnancy does -- it's a monumental mix of both intense excitement and skip-a-beat anxiety. If you're like most, you scour web sites, read...

Continue Learning about Prior To Conception

How can I increase my chances of getting pregnant?
There are many steps you can take to help increase your chances of getting pregnant. Ensure that ...
What are some comfortable sexual positions during pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
As your body changes during pregnancy, you may need to try different sexual positions to find what i...
How Soon After Having My Lap Band Removed Can I Try to Get Pregnant?
4 Natural Fertility Boosters to Help You Get Pregnant