Should I use antibacterial products to prevent infection?

An essential part of preventing the spread of infection in the community and at home is proper hygiene. This includes hand-washing and cleaning shared items and surfaces. Antibacterial-containing products have not been proven to prevent the spread of infection better than products that do not contain antibacterial chemicals.

Although a link between antibacterial chemicals used in personal cleaning products and bacterial resistance has been shown in vitro studies (in a controlled environment), no human health consequence has been demonstrated. More studies examining resistance issues related to these products are needed.

Continue Learning about Prevention Of Bacterial Infection

How can I avoid germs on devices I touch during the day?
Before you grab a handful of walnuts and the remote to turn on the TV, take a look at the keypad. Ho...
What formula should I choose to protect my baby from Cronobacter infection?
If your baby gets formula, choose infant formula sold in liquid form, especially when your baby is a...
Can antibiotics prevent bacterial infections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Using antibiotics to prevent a bacterial infection only contributes to antibiotic resistance. Th...
How Can I Avoid Getting Sick From Bacteria While Swimming?