Can wind musical instruments be sterilized with disinfectant fluids?

No!! Band wind musical instruments cannot be sterilized with disinfectant fluids from the music store. Sterilization is the complete killing of all microbes: bacteria, yeasts, molds, viruses, and their spores. Ethylene oxide has been found to be the only way to sterilize the instrument without hurting its parts. Disinfection is a reduction in the numbers of microbes; however, it may not be sufficient to reduce the numbers of germs to prevent disease transmission.

Continue Learning about Prevention Of Bacterial Infection

What diseases occur as epidemics?
The term epidemic is generally used to refer to a marked increase in the incidence of cases and/or r...
Can my child's band wind musical instrument be sterilized?
Ronald G. Glass, DDSRonald G. Glass, DDS
Yes, there is a method of sterilizing your child's band wind musical instrument. The process uses et...
How can I avoid germs on devices I touch during the day?
Before you grab a handful of walnuts and the remote to turn on the TV, take a look at the keypad. Ho...
How Can I Avoid Getting Sick From Bacteria While Swimming?