Can wind musical instruments be sterilized with disinfectant fluids?

No!! Band wind musical instruments cannot be sterilized with disinfectant fluids from the music store. Sterilization is the complete killing of all microbes: bacteria, yeasts, molds, viruses, and their spores. Ethylene oxide has been found to be the only way to sterilize the instrument without hurting its parts. Disinfection is a reduction in the numbers of microbes; however, it may not be sufficient to reduce the numbers of germs to prevent disease transmission.

Continue Learning about Prevention Of Bacterial Infection

Can my child's band wind musical instrument be sterilized?
Ronald G. Glass, DDSRonald G. Glass, DDS
Yes, there is a method of sterilizing your child's band wind musical instrument. The process uses et...
What formula should I choose to protect my baby from Cronobacter infection?
If your baby gets formula, choose infant formula sold in liquid form, especially when your baby is a...
Can bacterial infections be prevented?
One of the best ways to prevent bacterial infections is to maintain a healthy immune system. Several...
How Can I Avoid Getting Sick From Bacteria While Swimming?