Can I avoid getting a bacterial infection from the surgical team?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
One can avoid a bacterial infection from the surgical team by proper sterile surgical technique, draping, and instrument autoclaving. In my practice, patients undergoing general anestheisa, are given a dose of intravenous antibiotics at least 30 minutes prior to intubation in the operating room. Next, the patient is prepped and draped with a sterile technique by the surgical team. All instruments have been sterilized prior to the surgery and steam indicators will note sterility. All members of the surgical team perform hand washing both before and after each procedure to reduce bacterial counts. The Betadine or Hibiclens prep may also reduce bacterial count on the patient's skin prior to the procedure.

Continue Learning about Prevention Of Bacterial Infection

How do children spread germs?
About 22 million school days are lost due to the common cold. Learn more on this topic in this v...
How can I avoid getting sick from bacteria while swimming?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
To keep from getting sick from bacteria while swimming -- first, don't drink the water! says emergen...
Can dysentery be prevented?
Dysentery can be prevented by limiting exposure to the bacteria that often cause the disease. The ...
How Can I Avoid Getting Sick From Bacteria While Swimming?