How do I wash my cutting board to prevent food poisoning?

To prevent foodborne illness or food poisoning, it's also important to properly wash your cutting boards. Here's how:
  • After each use, clean cutting boards thoroughly in hot, soapy water.
  • After cutting raw meats on your board, wash in the dishwasher. If you prefer cleaning by hand, scrub thoroughly with hot, soapy water, rinse thoroughly and then sanitize with a bleach solution (1 tablespoon bleach in 1 gallon of water). If using a dual purpose product, such as a commercial cleaner/sanitizer combination, follow manufacturer's instructions for application.
  • Discard cutting boards that have cracks, crevices and knife scars.

Continue Learning about Prevention Of Food Poisoning

How to Avoid Getting E. coli From These Common Foods
Getting food poisoning is obviously not fun—and often it’s difficult to figure out what made you sick. But there are ways that you can keep yourself s...
How should I store eggs to prevent food poisoning?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Eggs need to be stored properly in order to avoid foodborne illness or food poisoning. Many refr...
Is Your Kitchen Making You Sick? How to Prevent Food Poisoning
Is Your Kitchen Making You Sick? How to Prevent Food PoisoningIs Your Kitchen Making You Sick? How to Prevent Food PoisoningIs Your Kitchen Making You Sick? How to Prevent Food PoisoningIs Your Kitchen Making You Sick? How to Prevent Food Poisoning
Avoid a cooking disaster, or a trip to the ER, with these food-safety tips.
What Are Supermarket-Shopping Suggestions for Avoiding Bacteria?