How can I prevent food poisoning in warm weather?

To prevent food poisoning in warm weather:
  • Keep cold foods “really cold” and hot foods, hot.
  • If in doubt, toss it out
  • Keep raw meats and raw seafood away from other foods in your shopping cart and during food preparation in your kitchen
  • Only buy “refrigerated” pre-sliced fruits and vegetables and look for an expiration date
  • Keep marinated meat in the refrigerator till you’re ready to cook it
  • Always scrub fruits and vegetables before and after peeling, and before eating
  • Never defrost meat on the counter
  • Use a food thermometer to make sure meat is cooked through to the center
  • Consider serving vinegar or tomato-based dips, if they are going to sit out for a while. Otherwise keep creamy dips cool in ice baths.
  • Wash hands before, during and after preparation and before eating food.

Continue Learning about Prevention Of Food Poisoning

How to Avoid Getting E. coli From These Common Foods
Getting food poisoning is obviously not fun—and often it’s difficult to figure out what made you sick. But there are ways that you can keep yourself s...
What can I do to keep myself safe from food-borne illnesses?
Deborah BeauvaisDeborah Beauvais
Washing our hands and being sure that we safely handle and store the foods we eat is important to ke...
Is Your Kitchen Making You Sick? How to Prevent Food Poisoning
Is Your Kitchen Making You Sick? How to Prevent Food PoisoningIs Your Kitchen Making You Sick? How to Prevent Food PoisoningIs Your Kitchen Making You Sick? How to Prevent Food PoisoningIs Your Kitchen Making You Sick? How to Prevent Food Poisoning
Avoid a cooking disaster, or a trip to the ER, with these food-safety tips.
What Are Supermarket-Shopping Suggestions for Avoiding Bacteria?