Why does hospital staff keep asking me my name and date of birth?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Your health care team will be asking you to repeat your name and date of birth often. Don’t get annoyed. Be thankful they’re taking steps to make sure they’re treating the right person.
Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about Preventing Medical Errors

Don’t Miss Your Misdiagnosis
Don’t Miss Your Misdiagnosis
In the 2014 movie The Angriest Man in Brooklyn, Henry Altmann, (Robin Williams) was able to set his life straight after a doctor mistakenly told him h...
How can I reduce the risk of death due to medical error?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
It's important to know who your healthcare provider is and how they manage their practice. Simple ac...
What can I do to avoid surgical complications?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
To help reduce surgical complications it is Vital that you listen to all instructions from your surg...
How Can I Avoid Medication Errors While I'm In a Hospital?