What can cause an incorrect diagnosis?

Knitting symptoms into a correct diagnosis can be complex. It is part art and part science. Mostly, doctors get it right, but sometimes they are way off course. A combination of factors - a mistake in the medical system or a flaw in reasoning - can cause a doctor to prematurely commit to a diagnosis or pick the wrong one entirely. And that can have serious consequences.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

The first thing a doctor must discover when treating a patient is whether a condition is physiologic or pathologic. What this means is that the doctor must determine if the condition is normal or associated with disease. When a doctor examines a patient, what he or she is trying to discover is the correct diagnosis. The correct diagnosis is called the definitive diagnosis, which is garnered from a list of potential diagnoses called the differential diagnosis (the differential). The process of narrowing down the differential diagnosis involves a series of steps that often leads to the correct diagnosis. Those steps are represented by the mnemonic HIPPAA, which stands for history, inspection, percussion, palpation, auscultation, and additional tests.

An incorrect diagnosis can occur if there is a misinterpretation of some of the HIPPAA findings, or some of those steps are skipped. That is why a second opinion is a good idea if your condition does not improve with the diagnosis and treatment recommended by your doctor. See also: http://www.dentalcomfortzone.com/template.php?aid=208.

Continue Learning about Preventing Medical Errors

Don’t Miss Your Misdiagnosis
Don’t Miss Your Misdiagnosis
In the 2014 movie The Angriest Man in Brooklyn, Henry Altmann, (Robin Williams) was able to set his life straight after a doctor mistakenly told him h...
How can I avoid medication errors while I'm in a hospital?
Ileen CravenIleen Craven
First and foremost keep a complete list of ALL medications (prescribed, over the counter, and herbs/...
How can I reduce the risk of death due to medical error?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
It's important to know who your healthcare provider is and how they manage their practice. Simple ac...
How Can I Avoid Medication Errors While I'm In a Hospital?