How can I prevent adverse medication interactions?

The best way to prevent adverse medication interactions is to ask your family doctor or pharmacist whether there are other medications that your medication interacts with. Also, ask about what your medication is used for, how to take it, the way it works and the potential side effects. If you have any allergies to medications, remind your healthcare providers of this so you can be prescribed medications that are safe for you.
To safeguard you from a drug-drug interaction you will need to be a substance sleuth. There are potentially harmful ingredients hidden within many over-the-counter (OTC) products, but you may have to dig deep to find them. You can even find the same ingredient in a pain reliever, fever reducer, cold remedy, and cough suppressant.

Here's what you can do to help avoid a dangerous prescription and OTC combo.
  • Keep a detailed record of all prescriptions, OTC, herbal and dietary supplements you are taking.
  • Know what each medicine you have been prescribed is used for and the side effects, interactions, precautions, and warnings.
  • Confer with your doctor, health practitioner, and pharmacist before taking any new prescriptions, OTC remedies, dietary supplements, and herbs.
  • Read the label carefully.
  • Learn the purpose of each active ingredient in OTC medicines and be certain to match the remedy to the symptom.
  • Fill all prescriptions at a single pharmacy so that they can routinely check for interactions.
  • Make sure you understand how to take the drug before you leave the pharmacy, and ask the pharmacist (not the cashier) questions if you don't.
  • Report any symptoms that might be related to the use of a drug to your doctor or pharmacist.
  • Make each of your doctors aware of medications prescribed by others.
  • Do not remove medicines from their original containers or remove the labels.
  • Periodically review your list of medications with all your doctors and healthcare providers.
  • Let someone else in your family know all your prescription and OTC products you are taking in case you become ill.
To find more information about drugs, supplements, and herbal products, visit the National Institute of Health drug look up. To download Food and Drug Administration approved medication package inserts, visit DailyMed.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Preventing Medical Errors

Don’t Miss Your Misdiagnosis
Don’t Miss Your Misdiagnosis
In the 2014 movie The Angriest Man in Brooklyn, Henry Altmann, (Robin Williams) was able to set his life straight after a doctor mistakenly told him h...
What should I do if I see a mistake in the hospital?
Hospital Safety ScoreHospital Safety Score
Let someone know. It is important for everyone’s eyes and ears to be in tune to the surroundings in ...
How many people die every year due to hospital errors?
It's estimated that as many as 180,000 patients die every year because of errors in hospitals. Two m...
How Can I Avoid Medication Errors While I'm In a Hospital?