How can I help prevent errors in my child’s imaging tests?

Kids may be more sensitive to imaging tests -- even when they are done perfectly. To keep imaging as error free as possible for your kids you should:
  • Keep a record of the tests taken so your child does not receive unnecessary scans. The Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging “Image Gently” program has a nice example of a booklet for this use.
  • Make sure to ask the doctor if the test is necessary.
  • Make sure to ask if the dose is as low as it can be for your child and still be effective.
  • Make sure the dose is appropriate for your child’s weight.
  • Make sure the area scanned is as specific as it can be to minimize exposure on parts of your child’s body that do not need to be exposed.

Continue Learning about Preventing Medical Errors

Protect Yourself from Medical Mistakes
Protect Yourself from Medical Mistakes
Outbreaks of exotic new diseases and potential health epidemics are all over the news, but simple medical errors—human mistakes and miscalculations—ac...
Why does hospital staff keep asking me my name and date of birth?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Your health care team will be asking you to repeat your name and date of birth often. Don’t get ...
How do hospitals prevent medication errors?
Hospital Safety ScoreHospital Safety Score
Medication errors in hospitals, unfortunately, are quite common. Your healthcare team and hospital s...
How Can I Avoid Medication Errors While I'm In a Hospital?