What should I do if my medications make my mouth dry?

Talk to your doctor if you are troubled by a dry mouth. Many medications and medical conditions can cause dry mouth syndrome. Normal amounts of saliva are important to maintain healthy teeth and gums; a lack of saliva increases the incidence of decay and periodontal disease (gum disease). Saliva also aids in swallowing, digestion, and the ability to speak normally. Because dry mouth is very common, products have been developed for the treatment of this condition; many are sold over the counter in drugstores. Consult your doctor or dentist to discuss this common condition and possible treatments appropriate for you. In the meantime, keep a glass of water nearby; sip from it regularly during the day, swishing the water around in your mouth to moisten your gums.
Parkinson's Disease (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease can be distressing, and adjusting to the effects of the disease can be difficult. The second edition of Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier...

Continue Learning about Prescription Drug Adherence

Your Prescription—Right From the Start
Your Prescription—Right From the Start
Has your doctor ever handed you a prescription that you’ve been completely unable to read? But when you hand the mystery message over to the pharmacis...
How can I make sure to take the right dose of my liquid medicine?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
One way to take the right dose of medication is to use the right spoon. New research suggests that y...
Do most people take their medications?
In the real world, people often refuse to take medications for reasons that baffle us. Overall, ...
How Can I Prevent an Antibiotic-Resistant Infection?