What is the ceiling effect of over-the-counter medications?

David Kuhl
Hospice & Palliative Medicine
Over-the-counter medications have ceiling effects, that is, a dose at which maximum benefit is achieved. If you take more than the maximum dose, you risk serious side effects. If the maximum dose is not effective, don’t take more and tell your doctor.
What Dying People Want: Practical Wisdom For The End Of Life

Facing death results in more fear and anxiety than any other human experience. Though much has been done to address the physical pain suffered by those with a terminal illness, Western medicine has...

Continue Learning about Prescription Drug Adherence

My Medication Looks Different. Should I Take It?
You pick up your prescription medication refill and head home. But when you take a dose from the new bottle, you notice that instead of the normal whi...
Can I take prescription medication without a doctors consent?
William D. King, MDWilliam D. King, MD
I would not recommend that you take a prescription medication without a doctor's consent. I would be...
What should I do with leftover prescription medication?
Some people try to save money by keeping medication for possible future use, but this is a sure-fire...
How Can I Prevent an Antibiotic-Resistant Infection?