How can other people help me take my medication properly?

Taking your medication safely and consistently will help keep you healthy. This has direct benefits to your spouse, partner, family, friends, co-workers, employer, community, and even your pets. Getting help from the people around you is well justified. One of the simplest actions you can take is to let everyone you are comfortable with or have a close relationship with know that you need to take your medication regularly. Ask them to remind you. They can check on you with e-mails or phone messages, or remind you in person.

In addition to friends, family, and co-workers, you can create what we call a medication support team. Your team could include your doctor or nurse practitioner, a care manager if you are participating in a disease management program, and your pharmacist. Although they may not remind you to take your medication, they can play a critical role in helping you take it safely. Make sure all the members of your health care team know what medicines you are taking (both prescription and over-the-counter), and always report side effects to them. Always check with your doctor before stopping or changing a medication.

Your pharmacy can also play a helpful role. Try to see the same pharmacist each time you fill or refill a prescription. You can ask her about taking over-the-counter medications with your prescriptions, and she can help clarify possible interactions between medications and between certain kinds of food and medications. With the help of your family, friends, co-workers, and medication support team, you will be able to make the changes in your habits and routines needed to stick with the medication regimen as it was prescribed.
Living SMART: Five Essential Skills to Change Your Health Habits Forever

The myriad of books and programs that encourage people to stop smoking, get organized, spend less, or exercise more tend to focus on what or why to change, but rarely explain how to change. Living...

Continue Learning about Prescription Drug Adherence

How to Avoid Mixing Up Your Daily Medications
In Mel Brooks’ Young Frankenstein, when Igor (Marty Feldman) steals a brain for Dr. Frankenstein (Gene Wilder), there’s a mix-up and the doc gets a br...
How can I remember to take my medication every day?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Taking daily medication requires commitment. When the medication is working, it's easy to forget tha...
What combinations of medicines could be a problem when mixed?
There are many prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) combinations that should put people on hi...
How Can I Prevent an Antibiotic-Resistant Infection?