How often does taking medication incorrectly cause health problems?

The surprising statistic is that, on average, more than 15 percent of all hospital admissions are caused by the improper use of prescribed medications and the adverse interactions between drugs, or between drugs and supplements. In fact, one study calculated that, in 2000, Americans spent one hundred forty billion dollars on prescription drugs, but that the costs due to adverse effects exceeded two hundred billion dollars.

Continue Learning about Prescription Drug Adherence

Your Prescription—Right From the Start
Your Prescription—Right From the Start
Has your doctor ever handed you a prescription that you’ve been completely unable to read? But when you hand the mystery message over to the pharmacis...
How can I keep track of when I give my child medication?
When your child is taking a medication, jot down the time you give it to him. It’s easy to wonder, “...
How can taking medication incorrectly affect the way I age?
Taking pills can make you older if you don't know how to take them correctly. Mixing drugs, taking m...
Is Antibiotic Resistance a Serious Problem?