How can I stop forgetting my medications?

Create a daily medicine routine. Create a written schedule, with space for each medication and when to take it (time of day, before, during or after meals), and keep it in a handy location where you can check off each dose as you take it. Or, purchase plastic daily/weekly pill organizers, available at most pharmacies, so that you will know at a glance if you have taken your meds.

If organizing your pills is difficult or stressful, consider asking your pharmacist to separate your pills into specific doses according to when they should be taken (morning, noon, dinner, bedtime) and to put them into smaller containers.

Keep medications in a decorative tin on a table near a favorite chair or couch. The tin acts as a reminder to take the meds while eliminating the unsightliness of a bottle-covered table -- and it’s portable. Of course, if there are children in the house, you will want to keep all medications out of their reach.

If possible, keep several doses of medicine in your car, at your workplace and in your wallet or purse so you will never run out of important medication. Be sure to take this dose and replace it with fresh medication regularly.
Arthritis

Arthritis

Arthritis: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier is a compendium of tips, techniques, and life-task shortcuts all learned from personal experience. Author Shelley Peterman Schwarz has lived with a chronic...

Continue Learning about Prescription Drug Adherence

6 Prescription Drug Challenges—And How to Overcome Them
When you’ve been diagnosed with a long-term or chronic condition, you’ll often have to take medications long term. But keeping up with your medication...
How can I remember the correct dose for injections?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Mark syringes with the correct dose of injectable medication. If it is difficult to remember the...
How can I remember to take my medication every day?
When you take a daily pill, it can be tough to remember if you're on schedule or thinking of yes...
How Can I Prevent an Antibiotic-Resistant Infection?