How can I reduce selfishness in my spoiled child?

Michele Borba
A major step in reducing selfishness in kids is simply not tolerating it. You’re right: it won’t be easy. After all, especially if your kid is used to having his every whim catered for a long time. But if you really are serious about changing this attitude, you must stand firm and be consistent. Start by clearly laying down your new attitude expectations: “In this house you are always to be considerate of others.” Then loudly state your disapproval each and every time your child acts selfishly. Be sure to state why their behavior was wrong, and if the selfish attitude continues, consider applying consequences.

“That was selfish: I expect you to treat your friends the same way you’d want to be treated.”

“I’m very concerned when I see you monopolizing all the video games and not sharing them with your friend. You may not treat people selfishly.”

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Emotional & Social Development

How can I help my child to see the importance of tolerance?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Tolerance is a powerful virtue that helps curtail hatred, bullying, violence, and bigotry while ...
How can I help my child to be more tolerant?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The following steps can help you help your child to be more tolerant: Confront your own prejudice...
How can my child practice friendship-making skills?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Just telling your child about the skill is not enough. Your child needs to try out the skill wit...
How can I help my child to embrace diversity?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
From a young age, expose your child to positive images-including toys, music, literature, videos...