How can I help my child to embrace diversity?

Michele Borba
From a young age, expose your child to positive images-including toys, music, literature, videos, public role models, and examples from TV or newspaper reports-that represent a variety of ethnic groups. Encourage your child, no matter how young, to have contact with individuals of different races, religions, cultures, genders, abilities, and beliefs. The more your child sees how you embrace diversity, the more prone he’ll be to follow your standards.

Use multicultural literature: Jan Arnow, author of Teaching Peace, points out that “only 10 percent of the almost five thousand children’s books published each year in the United States are multicultural in nature. Of those, fewer than fifty titles annually have been written about Native American and Asian peoples.” That is a troubling statistic, because research says that children first become aware of race and gender differences around two years of age, around the time many parents have started nightly bedtime traditions of reading with their kids. Expose your child early to a variety of multicultural literature that features positive images of all cultures and genders. It is one way to increase tolerance as well as reduce or prevent prejudice.

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Emotional & Social Development

How can I help my child to be more tolerant?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The following steps can help you help your child to be more tolerant: Confront your own prejudice...
How can I help my child to see the importance of tolerance?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Tolerance is a powerful virtue that helps curtail hatred, bullying, violence, and bigotry while ...
How can I help my child learn friendship-making skills?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
First, find a private moment to model the skill to your child. Talk about why the skill is impor...
How can I encourage my child to perform kind acts?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Sensitive, empathic, kind acts-even small ones-can make a big difference in people’s lives, so p...