How can I help my child become more sensitive to others?

Michele Borba
Sensitizing children to how someone else feels is a significant and serious enterprise. Kids can’t do this alone–they must be supported, supervised, and encouraged to develop sensitivity and consideration, and parents play an key role in this endeavor. The true parenting challenge is to use those unplanned moments when a child’s behavior is unacceptable as a learning tool to become more responsive to the feelings of others. Besides, that’s always the best kind of lesson: one that helps the child discover for herself why she should be kind and realize her uncaring, insensitive actions may affect others by understanding how the other person feels.

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Emotional & Social Development

How can I encourage my child to perform kind acts?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Sensitive, empathic, kind acts-even small ones-can make a big difference in people’s lives, so p...
How can I reduce selfishness in my spoiled child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
A major step in reducing selfishness in kids is simply not tolerating it. You’re right: it won’t...
How can I help shyer kids feel comfortable in social settings?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Accept your child’s natural temperament. Don't try to change your introvert into a social butter...
How can I help my child to be more tolerant?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The following steps can help you help your child to be more tolerant: Confront your own prejudice...