How do I handle a young child who is being bossy at school?

First, arrange a meeting with her teacher to talk about it. Find out how frequently your daughter tries to be “bossy” at school. Ask if it’s impacting her ability to make (and keep) friends. See if it’s interfering with the teacher’s lesson plans. The degree of your response will depend on the answers to those questions.

If it is a significant problem at school, you want to coordinate your approach with her teachers. Make sure everyone (including teachers’ aids, enrichment teachers, etc.) is involved in creating the plan, and everyone responds similarly. The more everyone is “on the same page”, the faster the offending behavior will decrease. Then get at-least weekly updates as to how the plan is going.

You can also engage in some play-acting of the scenarios she encounters at school; ask her teacher to give you some examples of what tends to happen. Don’t scold her, but rather wait until you have some time together. Tell her you heard from her teacher that there was a problem between her and another kid, and you want to learn what happened, and how to try to make it different next time. Then start a “pretend” scenario, asking her to play it out with you. Switch roles so that she has the opportunity to be the “boss-ee”. Talk about how it feels to be bossed around. Play-act different ways of responding to similar situations, then ask how that felt. Again, try to keep any scolding tone out of your voice; she won’t listen as well if she feels defensive. Sum it up with a quick rehearsal of how she can “ask people nicely”, or “wait her turn”, or “let people try things their way” or whatever the issue is.

I’m not necessarily concerned about a determined and “head-strong” child. With young kids, they’re at an age where we have the ability to characterize their attitude in either a positive (or negative) way -- and that attribution will “stick”, over time. So look for the positive side of your child’s personality. This dedication and intensity will help her be a leader and a hard worker. And look at it this way; you won’t be worrying about your daughter getting bullied at school!

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Emotional & Social Development

How can I encourage my child to perform kind acts?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Sensitive, empathic, kind acts-even small ones-can make a big difference in people’s lives, so p...
How can I help my child to see the importance of tolerance?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Tolerance is a powerful virtue that helps curtail hatred, bullying, violence, and bigotry while ...
How can I help my child to embrace diversity?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
From a young age, expose your child to positive images-including toys, music, literature, videos...
How can I help my child become more sensitive to others?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Sensitizing children to how someone else feels is a significant and serious enterprise. Kids can...