How can I help my child to see the importance of tolerance?

Michele Borba
Tolerance is a powerful virtue that helps curtail hatred, bullying, violence, and bigotry while at the same time influencing us to treat others with kindness, respect, and understanding. While tolerance doesn’t call upon us to suspend moral judgment, it does require us to respect differences. This virtue is what helps our children recognize that all persons deserve to be treated with dignity, justice and respect even if we happen to disagree with some of their beliefs or behaviors. And it is a critical component of moral intelligence that we must build in our children.

Intolerance can be demonstrated in many ways-verbally, physically, or in combination-but in every case the perpetrator displays cold-hearted disrespect for his victims targeting their race, ethnicity, age, religion, disability, beliefs, gender, appearance, behavior or sexual orientation. Whatever method the perpetrator uses, act of intolerance always cause the victim pain.

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Emotional & Social Development

How can I help my child become more sensitive to others?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Sensitizing children to how someone else feels is a significant and serious enterprise. Kids can...
How can I nurture kindness in my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Four strategies that follow are ones that experts agree are some of the most effective ways to b...
How can I reduce selfishness in my spoiled child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
A major step in reducing selfishness in kids is simply not tolerating it. You’re right: it won’t...
How can I help my child to embrace diversity?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
From a young age, expose your child to positive images-including toys, music, literature, videos...