How can I help my child learn friendship-making skills?

Michele Borba
First, find a private moment to model the skill to your child. Talk about why the skill is important, and then be sure your child can show you how to do the skill correctly. It’s helpful to go with your child to a  public place such as a playground or school yard, so she can observe other kids actually using the skill. Seeing the skill in action helps your child copy it, so she can try it on her own.

Remember: Kids learn skills best when you SHOW–not TELL–them what it looks like. You can point it out. Model the skill yourself. Have “teddy bear” practice with “Peter Rabbit.” Role play. Ask your child to teach another child. Video it. Put it on skype. Be creative! But don’t lecture about it.. show it! You can also help your child look for the skill on a television show or movie (”Let’s look for kids who introduce themselves to a new group.”)

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Emotional & Social Development

How can I help my child to be more tolerant?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The following steps can help you help your child to be more tolerant: Confront your own prejudice...
How can my child practice friendship-making skills?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Just telling your child about the skill is not enough. Your child needs to try out the skill wit...
How can I encourage my child to perform kind acts?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Sensitive, empathic, kind acts-even small ones-can make a big difference in people’s lives, so p...
How can I reduce selfishness in my spoiled child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
A major step in reducing selfishness in kids is simply not tolerating it. You’re right: it won’t...