How can I help my child learn friendship-making skills?

Michele Borba
First, find a private moment to model the skill to your child. Talk about why the skill is important, and then be sure your child can show you how to do the skill correctly. It’s helpful to go with your child to a  public place such as a playground or school yard, so she can observe other kids actually using the skill. Seeing the skill in action helps your child copy it, so she can try it on her own.

Remember: Kids learn skills best when you SHOW–not TELL–them what it looks like. You can point it out. Model the skill yourself. Have “teddy bear” practice with “Peter Rabbit.” Role play. Ask your child to teach another child. Video it. Put it on skype. Be creative! But don’t lecture about it.. show it! You can also help your child look for the skill on a television show or movie (”Let’s look for kids who introduce themselves to a new group.”)

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Emotional & Social Development

How can I reduce selfishness in my spoiled child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
A major step in reducing selfishness in kids is simply not tolerating it. You’re right: it won’t...
How do I handle a young child who is being bossy at school?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
First, arrange a meeting with her teacher to talk about it. Find out how frequently your daughte...
How can I help my child become more sensitive to others?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Sensitizing children to how someone else feels is a significant and serious enterprise. Kids can...
How can I help my child to embrace diversity?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
From a young age, expose your child to positive images-including toys, music, literature, videos...