What should I know if my child is left-handed?

Michele Borba
Left-handers from my dad’s generation had horrid tales from their school days. My 80-year-old aunt said her first grade teacher bound her left hand tightly behind her back forcing her to become right-handed. My uncle said it took years to erase his fear that he would “wrongly” use his left-hand. The harsh scolding from his strict schoolteacher still haunts him. Some historians say that even Ronald Reagan switched from left to right-handed as his life evolved because the image of growing up as a southpaw was so negative. Now I must disclose I’m right-handed and a mom and wife of lefties. I’ve seen both my husband and son’s frustrations when dealing with our right-handed world.

Many everyday habits we take for granted for example, shaking hands cause them anguish. Can you imagine being greeted with an extended left-hand instead of the “proper” right-hand? Tsk-tsk! Dining poses another challenge. Whenever my left-handed husband or son began the matter of meat-cutting the predictable would happen. “Oh he’s left-handed,” the guest would groan. “I should have sat on the other side.” There are advantages to being left-handed. Daniel Geschwind, a UCLA expert in neurobehavioral genetics, noted that creative fields like music, art, and architecture have more than their share of lefties. That would make sense since this is the same hand used by Pablo Picasso, Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci to create their masterpieces. More than a few studies have revealed there is a creative tendency in left-handed kids thus lefties such as Albert Einstein, Mark Twain, Isaac Newton, Benjamin Franklin, and Ludwig van Beethoven. University College Dublin found that left-handed men earn five per cent more every hour than right-handers. Don’t rule out that your lefty may just end up as Commander-in-Chief.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Development

How can I help with my preschooler's development?
The following tips can help with your preschooler's development: It's never too early to make sur...
How does the environment affect a child's brain development?
The process of pruning neurological connections is directly related to the environment to which a ch...
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener
What Your Baby's Body Language Is Telling You