What happens when a child has difficulty integrating the senses?

About 10 percent of kids have problems integrating all of the senses -- that is, perceiving info they receive from their senses and developing responses to it. These boys and girls may refuse to eat foods with certain textures or have aversions to baths or haircuts because they recoil from the sensation of water or a pair of scissors against their skin. They may be supersensitive to the sounds of fire alarms and vacuum cleaners or even feel disoriented while running and swinging (called gravitational insecurity).
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Development

How can I help my kids learn to play alone?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
There are many ways to help your kids learn to play alone and entertain themselves.  Here are boredo...
What is a typical daily kindergarten routine?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Daily classroom Pre-K to kindergarten routines typically include: Circle or group time: Children ...
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener
What Your Baby's Body Language Is Telling You