What should I do while I wait for a donor lung?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
It may take many months for replacement organ(s) to become available. During your wait, it is critical for you to maintain good nutrition and keep up rehabilitation efforts under the care of your local physician. Most transplant recipients will tell you that this waiting time was the most difficult part of their entire transplant experience. The transplant coordinator and social worker serve as your advocates, recommending and facilitating the support services you may require.

Continue Learning about Preparing For A Lung Transplant

How will my health be monitored while I wait for a lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Once you are placed on the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) waiting list, a nurse practitione...
What happens after I've been evaluated for a lung transplant?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
People that decide to pursue a lung transplant are placed on a waiting list. Being "placed on the li...
What should I do while waiting for a lung transplant?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
During this waiting period, it is critical that patients maintain good nutrition, an exercise progra...
What do organ transplantation coordinators do?
Your pre-transplantation and post-transplantation coordinators will visit you together every day unt...