How do I prepare for a lung transplant?

Maintaining or even improving your health during this waiting period is vitally important. Some guidelines include:
  • Exercise as directed by your physician. Keeping active, if possible, will improve your flexibility and endurance and may shorten recuperation time following your surgery.
  • Consult your primary physician and the transplant team for periodic checkups. 
  • Counseling is available to help you cope with what is often a stressful and emotional time for patients and their families. 
  • Follow the diet guidelines and rehabilitation schedule recommended by your physician. This will help you fight fatigue and other health problems that may be associated with lung disease.

Continue Learning about Preparing For A Lung Transplant

What happens after I've been evaluated for a lung transplant?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
People that decide to pursue a lung transplant are placed on a waiting list. Being "placed on the li...
If I need a lung transplant, what happens when a donor lung is found?
Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDLyall A. Gorenstein, MD
When your transplant team is alerted that a compatible donor organ is available for you, your co...
What happens after my doctors approve a lung transplant operation?
You will be immediately registered with the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), a not-for-p...
How will my health be monitored while I wait for a lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Once you are placed on the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) waiting list, a nurse practitione...