If I need a lung transplant, what happens when a donor lung is found?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
When your transplant team is alerted that a compatible donor organ is available for you, your coordinator will immediately contact you. Upon receiving the call you will be admitted to the cardiothoracic surgical service. There you will undergo a physical examination, chest x-ray and an EKG. Blood testing for final tissue typing will also be performed. While you are being prepared for surgery, members of your transplant surgical team will have traveled to the organ donor's hospital to personally ensure that the organ is satisfactory. If the team determines that an organ is damaged or infected, the surgery will be canceled. Meanwhile, you will be transported to the operating room. Once the organ has been approved for you, you will receive general anesthesia – and the surgery will begin.

Continue Learning about Preparing For A Lung Transplant

What happens after I've been evaluated for a lung transplant?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
People that decide to pursue a lung transplant are placed on a waiting list. Being "placed on the li...
How will my health be monitored while I wait for a lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Once you are placed on the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) waiting list, a nurse practitione...
What should I do while I wait for a donor lung?
Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDLyall A. Gorenstein, MD
It may take many months for replacement organ(s) to become available. During your wait, it is cr...
How do I prepare for a lung transplant?
Maintaining or even improving your health during this waiting period is vitally important. Some guid...