What happens after I've been evaluated for a lung transplant?

People that decide to pursue a lung transplant are placed on a waiting list. Being "placed on the list" means their names and certain medical information are entered into the national database overseen by the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS).

When a lung donor is identified, a group of surgeons evaluate the lungs. Because of time constraints, people are called in to the hospital before the inspection is completed. If the donor lungs meet transplant criteria, the transplant surgery proceeds. But if for any reason the lungs are determined to be unsuitable, the surgery is cancelled.

Continue Learning about Preparing For A Lung Transplant

How will my health be monitored while I wait for a lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Once you are placed on the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) waiting list, a nurse practitione...
What should I do while waiting for a lung transplant?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
There are many things people can and should do while waiting for a lung transplant, including: C...
What should I do while I wait for a donor lung?
Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDLyall A. Gorenstein, MD
It may take many months for replacement organ(s) to become available. During your wait, it is cr...
If I need a lung transplant, what happens when a donor lung is found?
When your transplant team is alerted that a compatible donor organ is available for you, your co...