What happens after my doctors approve a lung transplant operation?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
You will be immediately registered with the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), a not-for-profit organization contracted by the federal government to operate a patient waiting list and organ matching system. It assures equal access for every patient needing an organ for transplantation. The transplant physician and coordinator will meet with you and members of your family to discuss the decision. You will also have this meeting even if you are not selected as a transplant candidate. A letter detailing the team's decision as well as a summary of the testing will be sent to your referring physician.You will receive a letter documenting the date of the UNOS listing and the requirements for remaining on the list.

Continue Learning about Preparing For A Lung Transplant

What happens after I've been evaluated for a lung transplant?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
People that decide to pursue a lung transplant are placed on a waiting list. Being "placed on the li...
What tests are performed before lung transplant surgery?
Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDLyall A. Gorenstein, MD
The following tests are performed before lung transplant surgery: Chest x-ray and, in selected p...
How do I prepare for a lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Maintaining or even improving your health during this waiting period is vitally important. Some guid...
If I need a lung transplant, what happens when a donor lung is found?
When your transplant team is alerted that a compatible donor organ is available for you, your co...