What can help my child prepare for a test?

Michele Borba

Make no mistake, test-taking anxiety can be costly to our children academic success as well as their emotional and physical well-being. Here are proven solutions that can help your child on test day:

On the Test Day

• Get enough sleep. Countless studies find a significant correlation between kids’ sleep and test performance.  The biggest sleep disturbers: computers, cell phones, texting and TV. Unplug your kid at least 30 minutes before bedtime.

• Serve brain food for breakfast. Don’t let your child skip breakfast. Studies show that a breakfast rich in whole-grain cereals along with a lean protein such as eggs is proven to help maintain your child’s energy and keep him more alert during that test.

• Use anxiety-reducers. Research shows that using a relaxation strategy can reduce test anxiety. Here are three possibilities to teach your child a few weeks before the big test:
      o Self-talk: Repeat a relaxing phrase silently such as: “It’s only a test.” “I don’t have to be perfect.” Or “I’ll worry later, but I’m going to focus on the test now.”
      o Deep breathing: Take a three by three: Breathe in slowly to a count of three then exhale slowly to a count of three. Repeat the deep breathing strategy at least three times.
      o Visualize a calm scene: Close your eyes and imagine a calm peaceful place (a park, beach, tree house) that the child has experienced and brings a smile to his face.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Preparing A School Age Child For School

How can I help my child who is scared of starting kindergarten?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
Luckily, most kindergarteners have a rough time for a few days (or few weeks) at most. Then, the...
How can I help my child do better in school?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
These seven science-backed solutions are things that every parent can do, don’t cost a dime, and...
How Can I Prepare My Child for the First Day of School?
How Can I Help My Child Adjust to Middle School?