How can I encourage my child to do her nightly homework?

Michele Borba

I have a behavior makeover to help you handle those homework battles.

Check with the teacher throughout the year so you're clear on her homework expectations. The general rule is 10 minutes per grade level. Set aside a special place for your child to work. Then stock it with necessary supplies - pens, pencils, paper, ruler, dictionary. It will help your child be organized and they'll be no more excuses. Maintain a firm, serious attitude about effort. Your child needs to know that homework is a priority in your home. Enforce one rule consistently homework first, then play (or TV or phone calls) Realize that your role is a helper, not a doer. Once you get your role straight your battles are half over.

Picture of mother & daughter
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Preparing A School Age Child For School

What can help my child prepare for a test?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Make no mistake, test-taking anxiety can be costly to our children academic success as well as their...
How can I help my child do better in school?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
These seven science-backed solutions are things that every parent can do, don’t cost a dime, and...
How Can I Prepare My Child for the First Day of School?
How Can I Help My Child Prepare for a New School?