How can I help my child return to school after home-based education?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Work with your child's teachers and guidance counselor to get her back into the classroom as soon as possible. If your youngster has been receiving homebound education long-term, the initial focus needs to be on resuming a normal home routine before returning to the classroom. Within a few weeks, return to school must follow, beginning with a gradual reentry if possible. Initially, your child should return to school to attend courses in which she has the most confidence, as well as lunch. If it is not possible to return to school part-time, then she will need to return fulltime. Stick with your plan for returning to school, even if your child insists on coming home during the day the first few days after returning. If the attempt to return is not successful, talk to the school counselor about additional issues that may be causing your child's inability to reenter school.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Preparing A School Age Child For School

How can I prepare my child for the first day of school?
Dr. Elizabeth A. Armstrong, MDDr. Elizabeth A. Armstrong, MD
The first day of school can be daunting -- it often comes with apprehension about new teachers, new ...
How can I help my child prepare for a new school?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
Starting at a new school can be as stressful for kids as the first day at a new job can be for g...
How Can I Help My Child Prepare for a New School?
How Can I Help My Child Adjust to Middle School?