What precautions are taken if I need a dental x-ray when I am pregnant?

A radiograph may be needed for dental treatment or a dental emergency that can't wait until after the baby is born. Untreated dental infections can pose a risk to the fetus, and dental treatment may be necessary to maintain the health of the mother and child. Radiation from dental X-rays is extremely low. However, every precaution is taken to minimize radiation exposure. A leaded apron minimizes exposure to the abdomen and should be used when any dental radiograph is taken. A leaded thyroid collar can protect the thyroid from radiation, and should be used whenever possible. The use of a leaded thyroid collar is strongly recommended for women of childbearing age, pregnant women and children. Dental radiographs are not contraindicated if one is trying to become pregnant or is breast feeding.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Can stress while I am pregnant affect my oral health?
People who experience stress, whether it is financial, work, or family-related, are at increased the...
Do pregnant women get more cavities?
It is not clear whether pregnant women get more cavities than anyone else. But pregnant women who cr...
Can I have a dental x-ray if I'm pregnant?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Despite the extremely low radiation of dental x-rays, routine check-up x-rays are usually avoided du...
If I am pregnant, should I skip my dental cleaning?
Visiting a dentist or periodontist at least once while you are pregnant is recommended. Not seeing a...