How do I treat gum disease if I am pregnant?

If you are pregnant, tell your dentist about any changes you have noticed in your oral health. Many women develop gingivitis during pregnancy so good daily care is the key to your oral health. Your dentist may recommend more frequent cleanings to prevent and/or treat gum disease.

To help prevent gum disease, brush your teeth thoroughly twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste to remove plaque. Floss daily with an interdental cleaner. Look for oral care products that display the American Dental Association's Seal of Acceptance so you know that they have been evaluated for safety and effectiveness.

Managing gum disease, gingivitis, or periodontitis while you are pregnant is not as difficult as you might think. Try switching to a soft or extra-soft toothbrush and limiting or avoiding foods high in sugar such as candy bars or soft drinks.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Should I see a dentist if I have a tooth ache and I am pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Yes. It's always better to treat dental problems as soon as they are discovered and pregnancy is no ...
Can periodontal disease cause preeclampsia?
Some research suggests that periodontal disease in pregnant women can be a risk factor for preeclamp...
Can periodontal disease be passed on from mother to child?
Bacteria that cause periodontal disease can be transmitted from mother to child during and after pre...
Can stress while I am pregnant affect my oral health?
People who experience stress, whether it is financial, work, or family-related, are at increased the...