How do I treat gum disease if I am pregnant?

If you are pregnant, tell your dentist about any changes you have noticed in your oral health. Many women develop gingivitis during pregnancy so good daily care is the key to your oral health. Your dentist may recommend more frequent cleanings to prevent and/or treat gum disease.

To help prevent gum disease, brush your teeth thoroughly twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste to remove plaque. Floss daily with an interdental cleaner. Look for oral care products that display the American Dental Association's Seal of Acceptance so you know that they have been evaluated for safety and effectiveness.

Managing gum disease, gingivitis, or periodontitis while you are pregnant is not as difficult as you might think. Try switching to a soft or extra-soft toothbrush and limiting or avoiding foods high in sugar such as candy bars or soft drinks.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Are dental anesthetics safe for pregnant women?
Dental anesthetics in pregnant women are thought to be generally safe. The anesthetics dentists usua...
If I am pregnant, can I have X-rays at the dentist's office?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Current guidelines say it is more risky for a pregnant woman to postpone dental treatment than t...
What dental medications are not safe to take if I am pregnant?
You should avoid taking sedatives in the class of drugs called benzodiazepines. These include midazo...
Is it safe to see a dentist while pregnant?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
While you're busy with your pregnancy-related doctor's appointments, don't forget about the rest of ...