How can I prevent dental problems before pregnancy?

It is certainly possible to prevent dental problems like cavities, gingivitis, and periodontitis before you get pregnant. Preventing these problems can substantially reduce the risk of you having a premature baby or other complications.
Carol Jahn
Dentist
The best way to prevent dental problems before pregnancy is to get your mouth in the best shape possible prior to pregnancy. This means having regular dental visits that including a cleaning and exam and practicing good daily oral hygiene at home. The most common oral health problem women face during pregnancy is pregnancy gingivitis. The influx of hormones in pregnancy cause the gums to be more suseptible to dental plaque. Residual plaque that might not have irritated your gums before pregnancy now may cause bleeding, swelling, and tenderness. The healthier your gums before pregnancy the less likely you are to experience problems during pregnancy. 
Keeping up with your oral health can help you avoid any dental problems before or during your pregnancy. It’s important to see your dentist regularly. Being pregnant comes with many responsibilities -- and oral hygiene is no exception. For most women, routine dental visits are safe during pregnancy, but let your dental office know what month you are in when you make your appointment.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Is calcium lost from my teeth if I am pregnant?
A common myth surrounding pregnancy is that the body takes away calcium from the teeth because it ha...
Can I go to the dentist while I am pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you are pregnant, you need to be extra diligent with your oral hygiene. Listen as Dr. Maria L...
What are the effects of gum disease on pregnancy?
Serious gum disease (periodontitis) may increase the risk lead of premature delivery. It's not under...
If I am pregnant, should I skip my dental cleaning?
Visiting a dentist or periodontist at least once while you are pregnant is recommended. Not seeing a...