If I am pregnant, can I have X-rays at the dentist's office?

Current guidelines say it is more risky for a pregnant woman to postpone dental treatment than to have a dental x-ray. This is because dental disease not treated during pregnancy can lead to problems for you and your fetus.

Tell your dentist if you are or might be pregnant. If an x-ray is needed, the leaded apron and thyroid collar you wear during x-rays will help protect you and your fetus.
You should not have any X-rays done during your first trimester. The only exception would be if you have an acute or serious problem that requires X-rays. In that case, your dentist should take all safety precautions, including using lead aprons and thyroid shields, using modern fast film, and avoiding retakes.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

How do I treat dry mouth if I'm pregnant?
A dentist or doctor can determine if dry mouth, or xerostomia, is the result of dehydration, hypergl...
Do pregnant women lose teeth during or after delivery?
This is simply not true. While the developing fetus does in fact need calcium, protein, and other nu...
How do I treat gum disease if I am pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you are pregnant, tell your dentist about any changes you have noticed in your oral health. Many ...
If I am pregnant, should I skip my dental cleaning?
Visiting a dentist or periodontist at least once while you are pregnant is recommended. Not seeing a...