Can morning sickness affect my dental health?

If you vomit your stomach acids can damage the enamel of your teeth. The"acid challenge" temporarily softens your tooth enamel and you should resist the temptation to brush your teeth immediately after vomiting. This can further damage your enamel. Instead, just rub or smear some fluoridated toothpaste over your teeth and then rinse out with water. This should help minimize the damage to your teeth, improve your breath, and get rid of that bad taste in your mouth.
Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Morning sickness, a common side effect of pregnancy, exposes the oral cavity to higher levels of gastric acid. This constant exposure to higher levels of acidity causes erosion of the dental enamel and consequently, increased sensitivity. Therefore, pregnant women are advised to avoid brushing their teeth immediately after vomiting. Instead, rinse the mouth with a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water to neutralize the acid. 

However when brushing the teeth, a toothbrush with soft bristles should be used to reduce the risk of enamel damage. In addition, a fluoride mouthwash should be used to protect eroded or sensitive teeth.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

If I am pregnant, can I have X-rays at the dentist's office?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Current guidelines say it is more risky for a pregnant woman to postpone dental treatment than t...
Do pregnant women lose teeth during or after delivery?
This is simply not true. While the developing fetus does in fact need calcium, protein, and other nu...
Do pregnant women need to visit the dentist?
Roughly 6 million women become pregnant each year and at least half of them will visit their dentist...
If I am pregnant, should I skip my dental cleaning?
Visiting a dentist or periodontist at least once while you are pregnant is recommended. Not seeing a...